Saturday

To Be a Woman of Poise

I just read an excellent article: 7 Steps to Instant Poise. Even though it's not entirely new information to me, it was still eye-opening. It was a good reminder for me that I am not often poised...
Poise is composure and dignity of manner; a graceful and elegant bearing in a person.
God knows that often I am quite the opposite of poised and I hope that changes! I definitely know this is something that I cannot do on my own, so I will be praying about it, but this article gave some great things to think about. I linked the title of the article up there so you can read the whole thing, but here are the 7 Steps summed up very briefly:

1. "Fake it until you make it": Be confident, even when the circumstances are tough or when you don't know what you're doing. (My interpretation: Put your strength in God and you have everything to be confident about!)

2. Don't lock yourself into a past identity. God forgives you for your past mistakes, so you should accept that forgiveness and move forward with your life! (The author didn't quite say it that way, but that's my way of looking at it!)

3. Think before you speak and act. Be honest and spontaneous, but not to the point of hurting someone's feelings. Remain tactful and keep your integrity.

4. Avoid having a "scarcity mindset". On wikipedia it says that, "Scarcity is the fundamental economic problem of having seemingly unlimited human needs and wants, in a world of limited resources." So, basically do not look at life through the eyes of want want want and need need need. Do not put yourself first. Always put others before yourself. Do not push someone out of the way to get the last seat on the train - there is always someone that is more tired than you. Do not eat all of the cheese & crackers at the cocktail party because you are "starving" - leave some for other people!! ;)

5. Improve your posture!! I have been seeing a chiropractor recently and although I've seen one before, this time I feel I am taking it more seriously and my posture has been getting better and better everyday. It's hard work, but the results are sooo worth it. Not only does having good posture make you look poised and confident, but it will make you feel poised and confident, and happy! Check out this article and videos on Steps to Improving Your Posture.

6. Humble yourself! The author quotes Coach John Wooden: “You can’t let praise or criticism get to you. It is a weakness to get caught up in either one.” Know your value, but don't be arrogant and conceited.

7. Look to others and model their behavior. If you know someone who is full of poise, observe her actions, her speech, her demeanor, and try to imitate it (while still being yourself of course). Or you can learn about the women of the Bible and about the attributes of a godly woman (all point to instant poise!!)






Jenn

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Good post Jenn. I really like Audrey Hepburns quote. So true.

Related Posts with Thumbnails