Thursday

Paris Guide Part I of IV: What to Wear

A high-school friend who is living in Rota, Spain with her husband posted the following on my Facebook profile:
JENN! I forgot to tell you! I leave for Paris next Thursday!!! 4 days there. But I need your help! What do I eat?! What do I SAY?! (But most importantly, what do I WEAR!!!?) ;) What can you teach me in one week?!
So! Looks like I got my work cut out for me! I figured I'd turn it into a blog post :) I think it will have to be a 4-part post where I will cover:

What to Wear | What to Say | What to Eat | What to See
An American in Paris
What to Wear:

Well, I totally understand how intimidating this is! Um, hellooo, Fashion Capital of the World here you come! Parisiennes are so effortlessly put-together it's not even funny. But, in the end, don't even worry about - just don't wear anything that a.) isn't "you" - you aren't going to enjoy yourself if you're uncomfortable in something that you're not used to wearing, and b.) anything that screams "tourist from the US" - which I can't imagine you would ;)

I checked the weather for next week and it's looking like you'll most likely run into some rain the first couple days (not unusual for October), but Paris is still beautiful when it's gray and gloomy looking! And you can get some good black&white photos :) Then the weather says that the next couple days are partly sunny and patchy clouds. So your best bet is probably pants/jeans (or skirt/dress over warm tights and boots!) and sweaters or shirts paired with a light jacket, so you can take your jacket off in restaurants and not be too hot inside, but still be warm and stylish outside ;) (Just please be sure to not hang it on the back of your chair if there is a table behind you. Pick-pocketers purposefully sit behind people to search through their jackets from behind!)

Oh, and maybe you haven't needed one in sunny Espana, but it should go without saying that you need to get yourself a rainbrella, as my boss's 4 year old grand-daughter would say.

 


I think the 3 most important things I would suggest are:

1.) A cross-over purse that's not too easy to get open - one with a zipper and a button/magnet. Again, pick-pocketers. Keep it in front of you with your hand on it at all times, but especially on the subway and when going through a crowd -- will be less crowded though since the tourist season has died down. I know you know this, but it's worth repeating. (And don't be surprised if you see some women walking around with their purse literally around their neck! Like, hanging at their chest! That's how bad the pick-pocketing is there.)

2.) Scarves! It's the ever-present Parisian accessory and the messier it looks the better :)

3.) Comfortable shoes. Two words: cobblestone streets. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean since you live in Spain. Plus you will be walking a ton!! So comfy shoes are not always stylish, but who gives a crud lol. Why ruin your time in Paris because of stupid, painful blisters caused by a pair of sexy, fashionable heels?! Flats and a pair of skinny jeans are just as stylish. Unless you totally have the heel-on-cobblestone feat mastered, then by all means - rock the sexy heels ;)

Paris Street Style for Some Inspiration


But again, who gives a cr*p what those classy, perfect,
eat-cheese-and-butter-for-every-meal-and-not-gain-an-inch-of-fat Parisians think of what you're wearing! :-)

Just be comfy and
you! 

Does anyone have anything else to add?! I'm sure I left something out!

Jenn

5 comments:

Tristin said...

Jenn! I love this! This is so helpful! Some of the things i'm excited (and a little proud, I must add) to say that I have already! BUT, I jusssst may have to do a little shopping before hand for some other things! Still haven't found the right pair of skinny jeans. I think that is at the top of my shopping list! :)

Jenn said...

:-P Great!! I'm glad it was at least a little helpful! It was fun putting it together :)

Oh, skinny jeans are second on my shopping list (gotta get a new bra first!!!).. my pair of skinnies are too un-skinny cause i've had them for so long that they're all relaxed fitting now and don't fit well into boots.

Have fun shopping!

Anonymous said...

Tristin, you are going to love it there! I went with my sister Jenn a few years ago. More than once I saw girls wearing a pretty dress or skirt but with pavement pounding shoes like Converse and flat oxfords or flat knee high boots. I don't remember seeing any Uggs boots. Even the men and children dress chic. Oh and yes skinny jeans are a must, also because they're warm! Jen I love the photos. They're represent Paris perfectly. So when are we going back? ;-)
Tristin, have FUN!!!
Sharon

Jenn said...

Sharon - Meet you there in our dreams tonight? We can meet up at the banks of the Seine, I'll bring the wine and you bring the baguette & cheese ;)
<3

Dolls Factory said...

I'm here to invite you as already we are following each other to partecipate to my October Giveaway, I'm giving away God Save McQueen Shirt or other designs depending which one you consider to best fit your style. ENTER HERE

http://www.thedollsfactory.com/2010/10/fendi-giveaway-winner-and-invitation-to.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails